Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Last Week of Summer

The week before school was to start we told Jack that it was the last week of summer and asked if there was anything we needed to do before school started. That was probably a bad idea, he had a whole list of things to do. I told him we would do something fun everyday, again probably a bad idea. We did end up having a fun week though.


On Monday we went with some friends to the Air Force Museum. The boys loved it and had so much fun. Jack wanted to read all of the information at each exhibit, but had too much fun running around with his friends. Max did really well too. I was glad I had some help though. The moms agreed we need to go back without the kids to actually learn the info there. Thanks for the idea Brit.

Tuesday was another fun outing. We went to the 3-D movie "Fly Me to the Moon". The older two kids thought it was great and had so much fun. It was fun to hear them laughing out loud and to hear the comments between the little friends. Max did okay for his first movie. I tried to plug his ears with blankets, but I really think that kid can sleep through anything (except the night). Maybe I need to strap him in his carseat and put him in front of a loud recording of his brothers screaming and playing to get him to sleep.




It was off to the aquarium on Wednesday. Jack and Luke had earned some money (I'm not sure how legitimately) helping some friends with a lemonade stand. They decided to spend it going to the aquarium. Jack has always been obsessed with the underwater world and has now passed that love on to his little brother.
Thursday was swimming lessons, so I let them swim before and after for a long swim day. Notice in the second picture that the top of Jack's hair is still not wet. Unfortunately, Jack inherited his parents' natural love and talents for the water. He is not fond of putting his face in the water. I remember being a teenager and still swimming with my face out of the water. Luke on the other hand doesn't think anything of it. Thank heavens their teacher Emma is very patient--there are many times that I wanted to jump in the pool and dunk Jack or push him off the edge (I know, what an evil mother). That's what my teacher did when I was little, even pushed me off the high-dive. They have both made huge improvements and Jack can swim by himself in the deep now. We're so proud!
On Friday I wanted to take the kids to the farm and go for a wagon ride or ride the ponies. They had other ideas. They both agreed we should go back to the aquarium, so that's what we did. (sorry no more pictures) Then on Friday night Randy took the boys swimming again at the rec center. I think I'm exhausted, I thought we were done, but Randy had other ideas.

My hubby has a problem--I know acknowledging it is the first step. From about Easter on his brain is on automatic countdown to the start of football season. When August hits it seems that nothing can distract him from this countdown. So....Saturday was the Ute Fan Fest. He took Jack and Luke and they had a blast. Well actually I'm not sure who has more fun at these things the kids or their dad.



The boys with Swoop.



The boys with the Utah Cheerleaders. Randy?! tsk..tsk..tsk(that's me shaking my finger at you)



That's Luke in the middle playing tennis with the Utah Men's Tennis Team.



The annual picture in the middle of the U on the football field.



Coach Boylin the Men's Basketball Head Coach.


Checking out the Women's Volleyball team.




Adding to the boys obsession with Michael Phelps, this is a cut out of him at the Olympics. I'm still not sure of the Utah connection, but Jack and Luke loved it. And yes, Luke is wearing both goggles and a red swim cap.


These are "those nastics girls". Even after taking gymnastics themselves for a couple of years they both still say it that way. They loved that the girls had been having handstand contests with each other and the spectators. They're BUFF!




And of course some of the football team. They were all pumped up for the start of the season, and Randy loved adding to the fever with the team members.


The boys had a full and exciting week and after it all we were all ready for a vacation. I can't believe I have a 1st grader and a preschooler. They are awesome boys and I am so blessed. They have such a great dad that is willing to do fun stuff with them.

3 comments:

Mariesa M. said...

Wow, those are some good last summer trips. I am sure the boys still have huge grins on their faces.

The Heaton's said...

What fun!! I see U athletics in your boys future!! They are so cute!

Brittany said...

I can't believe Randy even let the boys in the pictures!! I thought for sure he'd be making them take pictures of him with the cheerleaders, coach, and football team. :)